My Girl

My Girl

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My Piece On Ferguson

I said I wouldn't comment on the events surrounding the Michael Brown case in Ferguson, Missouri, but it's hard not to. I have read numerous articles and social media posts, most of them continue to spew hatred and add fuel to the fire. Let me just say this: while everyone has a right to their opinion, I know I wasn't there. No one I know was present in the grand jury hearings. Side note: the grand jury was selected in May, I bet they had no clue the shit storm they were about to be thrown into. Poor guys. Most of the posts I've read via social media make "us," and I mean "us" as educated, non-violent, hard-working Americans, look like utter trash, from both sides of the issue.
 
I am not naive enough to believe that racism does not exist in our world today. I am well aware that it does, but I, for one, will not tolerate it. I do not practice it, I will not teach it in my home, nor will it tolerate it publicly. Until "we," as a society, learn to respect the man sitting next to us, no matter what the circumstances, we will continue to have a problem. I do not believe the heart of the Michael Brown case is rooted in racism. I believe the public outcry and public media has made this into a race issue. Take this with a grain of salt folks: Do I believe that Mr. Wilson was justified in killing Michael Brown? I don't know. I haven't read every single fact of the case, so I can't make that assessment. But I will say this: If it were me and a person of any race, sex, size or stature made me believe my life was in danger, I'd shoot. Period. That's not racist. That's fact. I only hope Mr. Wilson can justify to himself that he felt his life was in danger, because we, as Americans, do have the right to protect ourselves when we feel our life is threatened, cop or not.
 
But this is where it stands now: we have two parents mourning the loss of a son. Two parents who have been thrust into the media limelight during what is probably the most horrific time in their life. We have a veteran officer of the law who will probably never wear a badge again and a bunch of ignorant A-holes, on both sides, spewing hatred and violence thereby escalating an already tense situation.
 
So today, in the midst of all you hear on the news and social media, at what point can we all just be Americans? I'm not saying don't pick a side, you're entitled to your opinion, I'm asking at what point will the side you pick not include race as a factor? And let's be clear, I'm talking to both sides of the issue here. This post is not meant to be offensive in any way, shape or form and strictly my opinion. If you read further and I offend you, I am truly sorry. It is not my intention.

I'm talking to you, black folks, who are validating the hatred you spew on this case because your ancestors were oppressed. Valid point, sort of. Except it doesn't exist in this day and age. Your children will go to school with my children and have the same opportunity at any future they choose to pursue. On paper my child and your child are equal. Period. Now what I teach in my home and what you teach in your home may be different. If you teach your babies that they are less than, they become less than. They learn it, they believe it and they continue to teach it. No American is less than any other American. We all start equal. It's what we are taught to believe that we carry through life with us. You want your child to be less than, teach them the world is against them and they can do no better and watch them fail. Watch them perpetuate the stereotype like the looters and criminals in Ferguson. Tell them they can conquer the world and watch them strive to be better.
 
Ok white folks, your turn. Seriously? Because Mr. Brown looked a certain way he's automatically a "nigger." Excuse me. Hold on a minute. Y'all idiots got folks cooking meth in the trailer park, rotting their teeth out their heads, going on shooting sprees high on meth and you want to use a decades old moniker that might be the most offensive term ever used to describe a person? Really now? Work with me here, white folks. According to the evidence released, Michael Brown wasn't the perfect kid. He had been in some trouble. Ok. Great. Find me a white family that doesn't have problems somewhere that would constitute them being called white trash... don't worry... I'll wait. (While not equally offensive, I can't think of a word at this moment that's equally offensive as the "N" word.) But seriously, stop. Stop teaching your children to fear the black man. He is a man. Simple as that. Nothing more, nothing less. He is no scarier than the white dude who looks at you like he may or may not lock you in his basement one day. Some of the most educated, thoughtful, wealthy and kind people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting were black men. White folks, stop teaching your babies to fear what they don't know.
 
And why do we have "Black History Month?" It's my history too. We, as a society, are telling Americans they are not equal to other Americans. You are telling young, American kids that because their ancestors of a certain color were wronged by people of another color in the past, you get a whole month dedicated to your inferiority in American history, solely based on the color of your skin. No. Now wait a minute, it's not "black history," it's "American History" and we, as a society, should be past that. It's a part of all our history. No black person's more than white's. But then again, original slaves from Africa were sold by their own people, but I'm not here for a history lesson today.

My skin is light, but does that mean I'm "white?" I'm a hodgepodge of more European descent than I am willing to admit. Am I European-American? No. No more than any darker complected person I know is African-American.  I am an American. Call me "white" if you want, but I am nothing more than an American. And I damn sure am not any more of an American than the gentleman with the darker skin sitting next to me. Until we all decide we want to be Americans instead of black or white, the problem will remain. So, do you want to talk about facts in this case or do you want to talk about race? That is my piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment